Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Room Service in the Hall

Since I arrived in Yokohama I was told that on some days you could see Mt Fuji. For the first four weeks I had my doubts. Then the last few days before I left I got up each day to see Mt Fuji each morning as I left the hotel. The hotel was an odd shape and the halls had doors to the rooms on one side and big glass windows on the other side. From the room there was a great view of the bay, and going into the hallway you had a great view of the city. So about a week before I left to come home at Thanksgiving I open my door to leave for work and there it was. Mt Fuji is about 30-40 miles from Yokohama and that monring was clear enough to see it very clear. Over the next couple of mornings I came to expect this incredible sight. It was about 1/3 covered in snow and was inspiring to say the least. So two days before I left to come home another man from my company and I were on the way home and talked about how nice it would look at sunset. ( We were both on the same floor of the hotel on the 19th floor) So as we walked to our rooms we saw the sun setting behing the mountian. Then I noted what a shame it was that the hotel had no restuarant that had the Mt Fuji view. Then the idea! We could order room service and pull chairs from our rooms and eat in the hallway. So we then called another guy working on the project who was in another hotel and told him to come over for this dinner idea. So we ordered 3 dinners from room service and in just a few minutes here came three rolling carts with white linen table cloths. I thanked the guys who delivered them and said to leave them in the hall. Then when they left we pulled out chairs and turned the three carts to the big glass window and proceeded to eat our meal. Well in a few moments another hotel guy came down the hall and asked " is everything alright ? ...you are eating in the hall " We pointed out the window and said "Mt Fuji" He looked troubled and walked away. Then a manager of some kind came down the hall and asked again if everything was alright. We again answered that we were fine and were enjoying the view of Mt Fuji. He knew my name ( for some reason ) and said " Mr. Snow we don't usally allow our guests to eat in the hallway " I looked back and told him " well then I really do appreciate your allowing us to" He then looked down for a few seconds, then looked back and said " Certianly Sir " We continued eating, enjoying our meal when we noticed that another cart was coming down the hall. The manager sent a guy up with a cart of tea, coffee, more bread, and anything else he thought we would need. He stood there until we finished eating and each went our seperate ways. I fully expect when I return to the hotel for there to be signs that say "no food in the hallway" I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

You just KNOW that as you sat there finishing your meal, the guy standing off to the side was thinking, "Those crazy Americans!" But it's pretty cool that the manager, who clearly wasn't wild about what you were doing, was able to loosen up and let you crazy Americans enjoy your sunset in style!